10 Signs You’re a Medical Student
A handy guide to assess how ‘medical-student-y’ you are, if that’s something that appeals to you.
1. You only have one smart outfit so it makes a recurring appearance every single placement day.
2. You sometimes find it difficult to come up with conversation topics that don’t involve how much work you have, how hard that work is, or how stressed you are over all that work.
3. Your search history is mostly loads of rare diseases and weird medical terms mentioned in passing by lecturers.
4. You actually use a calendar/diary/planner for something other than your friends’ birthdays (ie. for ruling your life).
5. Your bag always contains at least one of the following items: a lab coat that smells of formaldehyde, the medical textbook you only really have to appease your guilty conscience, a notebook for writing down all the things you need to do and snacks for painfully long library stints.
6. The words ‘anus’ and ‘rectum’ make cameos in casual conversation.
7. You have a hefty medical dictionary given to you free by some scary-but-important medico-legal company
8. You live in a constant state of fear that someone’s going to have a heart attack near you and everyone will somehow be able to tell you’re a medical student, regardless of the fact that you know basically nothing.
9. You consider naming all the bones of the body (including all those cute ‘tuberosities’) actually quite fun.
10. Medical school all day, Grey’s Anatomy all night amirite???
hey! i'm an 21 year old medical student (currently intercalating in anthropology) living it up in east london! i spend my spare time playing dixie chicks on guitar (badly), attempting to do yoga and turning it up at my church.